7 Great quotes about libraries on photos of beautiful libraries
With libraries around the world in danger of extinction, Flavorwire posted a series of great quotes about libraries from famous writers. I decided to pair them with some of the world’s most beautiful libraries. You’re welcome;
- Trinity College Library - University of Dublin
- University Club Library – New York City
- Admont Abbey Library – Austria
- Real Gabinete Português de Leitura – Rio de Janeiro
- Suzzalo Library at the University of Washington – Seattle
- Yale University’s Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Canadian Library of Parliament – Ottawa
Click on the photo to see it full size. Support your local library, kids.
A fun fact on the Yale Rare Book Library: There is no water piping for fire control; instead the library uses Halon Gas. Halon Gas is a compound which removes oxygen from the air, and in the event of a fire it gets pumped into the central space and chokes out the fire. The upside to this is that there is no water damage to the books. The downside is that the central stacks are not open to the public for serious safety reasons— the gas is lethal in about a minute.